Hyde Park is located adjacent to the University of Tampa and Downtown. The boundaries of Hyde Park include the Hillsborough Bay to the east, Kennedy Blvd to the north, Bayshore Boulevard to the east and south, and Armenia Avenue to the west.
The neighborhood history in the 1880s when railroad financier, Henry B. Plant, built the first bridge across the Hillsborough River at what is now John F. Kennedy Blvd. The first house in the neighborhood was built by James Watrous in 1882 at 1307 Morrison Ave. Rapid growth occurred, and a street car line was put in on Swann Ave. and Rome Ave. This is the underlying reason for the wideness of these two streets compared to the rest of the narrower streets in the neighborhood.